Tuesday, March 30, 2010

High Up In The Hills

Pennsylvania roads have a pretty distinct character. It's as though you took the laid-back, sweeping openness of Ohio and then put on your 3D glasses. It's got the same kind of wonderful unlit, two-lane highways, but in Pennsylvania they go winding through hills and mountains. You get fantastic panoramic views of the Appalachians and then they plunge you into these great, wooded valleys, sometimes so steeply that you have to downshift. It's a cool feeling and it sort of smacks of America. Last year, whenever I got too tired of Philly, I'd take a Zipcar out past the suburbs just to drive around on those roads.

I had to drive to Pottstown last night for my Latin Pedagogy mentorship project. I did it late at night, after the sun was down and the traffic had cleared, and I listened to all my Josh Ritter songs. It was awesome. I could live in Pennsylvania.

3 comments:

  1. Pennsylvania isn't Maryland or California so if you move there, you please no one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you lived in Pennsylvania already?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pennsylvania is beautiful, but if all you know is the southeastern part, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Drive out to the Wilds with me sometime and see some real mountains.

    Well, not really. PA has nothing on some of the wild places I know. But it's a start.

    ReplyDelete